Corned beef hash is a popular dish for breakfast, lunch or dinner in the Philippines. It is so quick and easy to make and is considered to be a comfort food. The traditional corned beef hash is composed of canned corned beef and potatoes and flavored with garlic and onions. Tomatoes are added at times. The dish is a combination of both American and Spanish influences -- canned corned beef and sofrito, a basic sauce composed of garlic, onions and tomatoes.
Corned Beef Hash
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small Roma tomato, diced (optional)
- 340 grams canned corned beef
- 1 medium red potato, diced about 1/4 inch thick
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic and onions for 2 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add tomatoes (if using.) Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the corned beef. Stir to mix.
- Add the potatoes. Stir and cover. Cook for 10 minutes. Stir from time to time to avoid the bottom part from overcooking.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm.