The recipe that I will share is from my Aunt Lovina, my mom's elder sister. I believe this is the recipe that was passed on from my great grandmother to my grandmother. I think Aunt Lovina makes the best leche flan!
- 20 pieces egg yolk
- 2 cups condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups or 24 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- Beat the egg yolk in a mixing bowl using a hand mixer or electric beater.
- Mix in the condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla extract thoroughly. Set the mixture aside.
- Heat the llanera or tin or aluminum mold over low heat. Spread the sugar on the mold. When the sugar has caramelized or has turned light brown in color, remove from heat and set aside for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the custard mixture in the mold and cover with tin foil.
- Steam for about 30 minutes. Insert a knife into the middle part to check for doneness. If it comes out clean, the custard is cooked.
- Refrigerate before serving.
- Coffee or rhum can be added to the caramel for a more interesting flavor.
- Vanilla can also be substituted with lemon extract.