Maja Blanca is a Filipino dessert made from coconut milk, cornstarch, and sugar. This luscious dish is also called Coconut Pudding. The original Maja Blanca does not include corn, coconut meat and milk. In this recipe, I added whole sweet kernel corn, young coconut meat and milk just like how my mom preapares her maja blanca.
Growing up as a kid in my maternal grandparents' house, I have had a lot of maja blanca during Christmas, fiesta and even on ordinary days when my grandma's cravings for sweet and native delicacies attack. I admit, just like my mom and my grandma, I have a sweet tooth. My maja blanca does not come topped with toasted mature coconut meat because I don't eat it. Latik is another topping used when serving maja blanca. Latik refers to the coconut milk residue left when coconut milk is cooked until it turns to oil.
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 15 ounces whole sweet kernel corn (optional)
- 1/2 cup grated young coconut meat / buko (optional)
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup fresh milk or water
- 5 tbsp toasted grated mature coconut meat or latik (if available)
- Heat the coconut milk in a pot and bring to a boil. Add the sugar, whole sweet kernel corn and young coconut meat then stir until all the ingredients are evenly distributed. Simmer for 8 minutes.
- Combine the fresh milk / water and cornstarch then whisk until the cornstarch is diluted. Slowly pour the mixture in the cooking pot and stir thoroughly. Allow to cook while stirring until the mixture reaches desired thickness. (about 3-5 minutes)
- Pour the mixture in a greased serving tray then arrange and flatten the top using greased spatula. Allow to cool at room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Garnish with toasted grated coconut (or latik if available.) Serve chilled.
Here's how to make toasted grated mature coconut meat:
- Squeeze the coconut milk from the coconut meat.
- Heat pan and pour in the grated mature coconut meat over medium heat.
- Stir the coconut meat until most of the liquid evaporate. Continue stirring until it becomes toasted. The color should become light brown and the texture crisp.