Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 2 cups
- 14 oz. uncooked sago or tapioca pearls
- water for boiling the sago
- 2 cups brown sugar for the syrup
- 2 cups water for the syrup
- Boil water in a pot. Add sago pearls. Stir and continue to boil for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Rinse and drain.
- Put sago back in the pot. Cover with enough cold water. Bring to a gentle boil for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Rinse and drain.
- Repeat Step 2 twice or until sago pearls don't have the white at the center.
- Rinse cooked sago under cold running water twice more to remove excess starch.
- Use as needed or store in the refrigerator in an airtight jar with simple syrup.
To make the simple syrup:
- Combine sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Pour over sago.